Monday, January 31, 2011

Busy busy busy!

Lots going on at the moment.  I've been trying to make some progress with the WCF website, on two fronts.  First, I've been doing some updates to things like the Taylor List of contact details for individuals.  I found a database in my local copy of the website that seemed to be the Taylor List, also found (lucky day!) I had MS Access on my PC so could open the db.  I dutifully made the requested changes to the Taylor List then uploaded them to the live website and....nothing!  Brian Storey helped point me in the right direction (thanks Brian) - it seems this local copy is irrelevant, instead you have to edit the live MySQL database!  Scarey - I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

So when I tried to upload the latest World Team Rankings which Chris Clarke had provided (thanks Chris), after a while crawling around bits of the site trying to find where the data was held, it dawned on me it might also be in the same MySQL db - and it was!  So, now an expert (!), I was a bit quicker in getting these changes loaded.  Then over the weekend, trying to pick-off easy things from my To Do list, I wanted to update a couple of WCF Member contact details that had changed - and yes, they were also in the same db.  At one level, this is great, I know how to change things now (within limits).  But on the other hand, editing the live db seems just wrong to me - far too many opportunities to mess things up.

The other tack on the website has been to agree with the Management Committee an approach for a complete revamp for the website.  All websites 'silt up' over time, and often the best solution is to start afresh.  We are planning to do that this Spring (UK).  We have advertised for a webmaster, as we need someone with more skills and time to devote to it than I have.  So, with luck we will have a shiny new website later this year.  The current website has served us well, and I appreciate the huge amount of work Brian Storey put into it when he was S-G.

Finally, the WCF GC Rules Committee has been looking at two new official rulings for Rule 9.  A complete updated list of official rulings has now been uploaded at http://www.wcfcroquet.org/Rules/Official%20GC%20Rulings%20-January%202011.pdf.

The MC has two quite large proposals in the final stages of edits and updates, which we hope to get out to the WCF Members for their comments shortly - it's taking a big push to get these proposals out the door - "just one last little thing" keeps delaying us.  I'll be glad when they're done as then we can catch up with some other things we need to do, like planning for events.

No comments:

Post a Comment