Thursday, November 25, 2010

What's on the MC's agenda

It's now 10 days since I took over as S-G, and I've spent a lot of that time trying to get my head round what's to do, what's urgent, and how to get organised. 

The previous S-G, Chris Clarke, has been very helpful and answered a steady stream of my dumb questions, sent me a huge number of files, and given me a long list of tasks to pick up.  But it's still been hard work compared to previous handovers in the several job changes in my past - I guess being on the other side of the world (13 hours difference) and not being able to just spend a few days working side by side on the handover is a real impediment.  I'm sure I'll still be finding things where I don't understand the context, history or significance for some months!

However, after 10 days it does mean I've worked up Chris's To Do list into a list of over 100 tasks and topics for the MC to get on with.  This is essentially the "agenda" for the Management Committee for the part of the year when we're between formal face-to-face meetings, when most of the work happens by email.

Here's a list of the main topics we're currently focused on:
> preparations for the 2011 Womens GC Championships in New Zealand - Gordon Smith is leading on this
> prep for the European Team Championships in June in England - Ian Burridge is leading
> prep for the World GC Championships in July in England - Stephen Mulliner is the lead
> early prep for the World AC Championships in Adelaide in April/ May 2012 - Stephen Meatheringham to lead
> a Development group led by Stephen Mulliner are looking at how to help a number of countries develop the sport, establishing a WCF Coaching Committee, and considering a grant request from one country to help set up a national croquet centre
> a Tournament Development group led by Ian Burridge.  There are a number of events either proposed or approved in principle that need to be set up, and there are also some changes to event formats that need to be bottomed out.  For example, we're trying at quite short notice to see if we could set up an Under 21 World GC Championships immediately before the main World GC Championships - it may not come off, but it's worth a try
> Updating the WCF Regulations.  Quite a few ideas have been discussed over the past year or so, but they need to be pulled together into a consistent update.  Keith Aiton is leading on this.
> and finally, there are a whole bunch of nitty gritty tasks for Ian to do as Treasurer and me to do as Secretary-General - either general admin, or tasks that don't fit anywhere else, or to do with updating the web site.

I'll be tracking progress of this list of 100+ tasks and trying to spot the the biggies that will bite us if we don't attend to them.  Once I can update the WCF web site (see the earlier post on this), I intend to maintain a list similar to the above under the WCF MC Agenda page.

Mail me at secretary@wcfcroquet.org  if you have any queries.  Thanks.

1 comment: