Thursday, December 9, 2010

A leap in the dark

...well, a step anyway.

With Brian Storey's help, I've managed to make my first faltering updates to the WCF web site.  Brian created the site in its current form when he was S-G.  I'd mugged-up on Dreamweaver and created simple "Hello World" pages, but the full splendor of the WCF site rather took me aback.  We've copied it all to my PC so I can work on it with Dreamweaver.  It's huge!  3.8Gb of data and 6,911 separate files.

I was warned it could take 30 hours to download it all. In the end, it took about 3 hours - maybe my broadband connection isn't too bad after all.  With Brian's help over the phone, I've made the first small updates - such as to the placeholder for the 2011 Womens GC Championships, which had been showing duff information for a little while.  I've removed the wrong info and put a temporary notice there for now.  We are close to completing the agreement for this event, which we expect will be in late November 2011.  More details will be announced as soon as the deal is confirmed.

Having seen just how complex the inner workings of the web site are, it's going to be some time till I work through the long "To Do" list for the web site.  I'll do the simple changes to information first, before I do anything that involves changing the structure or mechanics of the web site.

On a different topic, I was really pleased to be able to reach an agreement quickly to move the planned 2011 European Team Championship from WCF to CA control.  The English CA have agreed to take the event on, which has been arranged for Cheltenham in England from 23rd to 26th June, 2011. More details will be published in due course by the Croquet Association.  My thanks to Jonathan Kirby and colleagues at the CA for a speedy and positive decision.

The next challenge is to propose to our Members an outline schedule for all WCF events for the next 10 years, so we can plan further ahead.  It's a big task so that will keep us busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment